This town rises at the junction of three provinces: Bari, Taranto and Brindisi. It is placed in Itria Valley, on a tableland 410 meters above sea level at the South-Eastern side of Murge dei Trulli.
Locorotondo was probably founded by Greek settlers several centuries before Christ. Early sources mentioning a feud named Rotondo dates back from XII Century.
During 1250s, this village gradually grew and became a real hamlet subject to St. Stephen monastery until 1385. During half 1300s, Locorotondo was besieged - along with other hamlets of that same monastery - by Duke of Athens Gualtieri VI di Brienne, known for his short period of lordship on Florence from 1342 to 1343.
From late 1300s through late 1400s, Locorotondo was a property of one of the greatest families of that era, Del Balzo Orsini. During 1500s the town experienced an economic, cultural and demographic turmoil. In 1645 Locorotondo was involved in the economic collapse of Barons Borrassa, who were forced to sell this feud to Dukes Caracciolo di Martina Franca, who kept it until early 1800s. In 1799 Locorotondo participated in the risings following the ratification of Roman (1798) and Neapolitan (1799) Republics.
http://www.viaggiareinpuglia.it – Portale Turistico Istituzionale della Regione Puglia